The Dangers Of Worn Electrical Cables

Electricity is such a common part of our lives that it is easy to forget what a powerful and dangerous force it is, which is why we should take stock every now and then and have our electrical wiring and cables checked.

The dangers of worn electrical cables are twofold.

Firstly there is the danger of electrocution.

The insulation on the cables protects us from the powerful voltages streaming through. If you touch a worn cable you run the risk of being electrocuted. The voltage that runs through our homes is high enough to kill us, and, even if it is not fatal, you can be left permanently damaged by it. Remember that there does not have to be much visible damage to a cable for you to get electrocuted so always play it safe.

The other danger of a worn cable is that it can start a fire.

This is especially concerning as often these cables will be out of view and the homeowner will not know there is a problem until too late. This is one of the most common causes of fire and is tragic as it is totally preventable. The only way to be sure that your cable is not worn is to have a licenced electrician or appliance repair technician inspect your cabling regularly.