Winter Fire Safety In Your Home

Statistics have shown that more than 43% of fire deaths occur in the winter months so now is the time to be extra vigilant with your home fire safety. We see how devastating it can be on the news almost every night. Some simple checks and precautions can help you avoid a home fire this winter.

You could be forgiven for thinking that all winter fires happen because of heaters or fireplaces and these are major causes but by no means the only situations where fires begin. Faulty appliances such as electric blankets and clothes dryers can also be very dangerous.

By following some safety checks you can help keep your home fire safe.

  • Safeguard your home with smoke alarms, ensure you have the correct amount, they are placed in the most effective locations and you replace the batteries and test yearly.
  • Ensure all your appliances meet Australian Standards and are not damaged. Do not use damaged appliances, however small you think the damage is.
  • Verify that your electric blankets are not frayed or damaged.
  • Never leave cooking unattended.
  • Turn off appliances at the wall when they are not in use or unattended.
  • Clean the lint out of the clothes dryer after every cycle.
  • Keep clothing, curtains, tablecloths and bedding at least 1 metre away from heaters.
  • Always use one appliance per power point, don’t overload adaptors or power boards.
  • Secure matches and lighters away from young children.
  • Never leave children unattended around fires or candles.
  • Clean your chimney regularly.
  • Extinguish candles and fires before you go to bed.
  • Verify your electrical safety switch is working.
  • Ensure all your fixed heating appliances are installed by an authorised technician.
  • Get an electrical safety check completed on your home by a qualified electrician every 5 years to ensure all areas have been investigated.

Lastly, have a Fire Escape Plan and discuss it with all members of the house.

For more information on Fire Safety and a Fire Escape Plan for your home see Queensland Fire and Rescue Service